Thursday, July 19, 2018

Simple Travel Themed Masculine Card


Creating a simple yet eye pleasing Masculine Card using Studio Light Paper from Cherish the Memory



If you're anything like me, you're drawn to floral, feminine, colorful designs which can sometimes pose a challenge when making a card for a man, or for a female friend who isn't into "girly" designs as you are. The "Memories of Summer" collection that you can purchase at Cherish the Memory really takes the guesswork out of picking and choosing paper for your masculine card. What is so great about this collection is that it has a good balance in range, therefore really allowing you to make both masculine, gender neutral and feminine projects without having to buy several collections!


My favorite part of the collections by Studio Light are the paper pads, which I will be providing the link to below. I love the paper pads because it comes jam packed with backgrounds, but you see that you don't have to use the backgrounds just for backgrounds. If you look at the three rectangular paper pieces, they have been die cut from the paper backgrounds in the pad to create the layering effect where I used foam mounting tape.

What I love most about this card is the use of neutral warm earth tones. Stick with natural colors such as browns and tans to get down the color scheme for a masculine card. I knew as soon as I saw the lighthouse from the ephemera pack that I would be using it, it's so pretty! The vintage plane stamp was also a really cool feature in the ephemera pages which I will also link. 

Some tips that helped me put this card together :
1. Use earth tones such as browns, tans, grays, greens and blues
2. Take items from your stash that you have found yourself neglecting and throw things together to see if they complement the card. The background paper has a wooden grain texture which I had no plans for, until this card came up!
3. Jute adds a great natural element that is gender neutral. Texture in masculine cards is your friend.
4. Keep the design simple. I struggle with simple design but simple and clean is a must to achieve that perfect look. Masculine details can be pretty powerful, and you want them to speak for themselves and not overwhelm the card or viewer.
5. It helps to choose a 5x7 layout for a masculine card, the linear layout helps create a stronger card.

I hope you found some inspiration and ideas! Check out the Cherish the Memory shop for the collection:  








No comments:

Post a Comment

"Wrapped in Adventure" Layered Card for Cherish the Memory

Layers and Distressing  Using Studio Light's Paper Collection "Memories of Summer" Creating Layers Do you ever ...